Excessive blood makes cage unsafe, ending wild 'Night of Champions' early


Cage Warriors 106 was dubbed “Night of Champions,” but it perhaps may have been more aptly-titled “Night of Drama,” as the U.K.-based MMA promotion served up a quite remarkable night of action that produced some spectacular – and unusual – results at Eventim Apollo in London.

None were more unique than the events that unfolded in the main event, when defending Cage Warriors welterweight champion Ross Houston and interim champ Nicolas Dalby went toe-to-toe in a bloody war that ended up being ruled a no contest by referee Marc Goddard.

The opening round saw Houston (8-0) connect with a slicing elbow that left Dalby (17-3-1) with a nasty gash above his left temple. But, after some sterling work in the corner between rounds from the cutman, the gushing blood was stemmed, and the cut was suitably closed for the doctor to rule “Lokomotivo” fit to continue.

In the second round, a huge right cross from the Dane left Houston with a broken nose that started to bleed profusely, as well.  It led to remarkable scenes as the canvas of the cage was turned blood red, with both fighters struggling to get a foothold on an increasingly slippery surface.

With both men bleeding heavily and the action becoming increasingly farcical as the third round unfolded, Goddard called a stop to the action and waved off the fight as a no contest. It meant both men retained their titles, and they both agreed that a rematch was in order, with Dalby suggesting they fight on the UFC’s upcoming card in Copenhagen.

The pair then celebrated/commiserated with each other on top of the cage as the night came to a bizarre end. But that wasn’t the only highlight on a packed night of fights.

Herbert turns up heat, claims lightweight strap

Birmingham’s Jai Herbert stepped up to the plate in some style to finish fellow highly-rated British lightweight Jack Grant and claim the vacant Cage Warriors lightweight title in a thrill-a-minute battle in the night’s co-main event.

Grant (15-5) looked to mix up his striking with takedown attempts but found Herbert’s (9-1) footwork and slick counters a tricky proposition to handle. Herbert’s striking looked on point throughout the fight, as he connected with a succession of heavy strikes that eventually set up the finish in the third round.

When it came, the finish was a decisive one, as Herbert loaded up with power strikes, forced his man against the fence, then finished him with strikes up against the cage as the referee stepped in to spare Grant further punishment.

Click here to read the full article on MMA Junkie.

London Fight Store