Report: Michael Chiesa seeking Conor McGregor's post-bus melee profits in court
According to a report from TMZ, which said it has court documents, Chiesa is seeking the profits McGregor earned in the months following his now-infamous bus attack at UFC 223 in Brooklyn, N.Y., in April. Chiesa, TMZ said, is citing New York state’s “Son of Sam” law that says persons convicted of a crime can’t profit commercially because of their crimes.
UFC lightweight Chiesa in September filed suit against McGregor, alleging the former two-division champion and several unnamed persons attacked him, causing “serious personal, economic, and other injury,” according to the complaint filed in Kings County (N.Y.) Civil Court, which can be viewed here.
Chiesa was on a bus carrying UFC 223 fighters at Barclays Center in Brooklyn when McGregor and his teammates attacked, going after current lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov in retaliation for an incident with McGregor teammate Artem Lobov earlier in the week.
McGregor was caught on camera throwing a hand truck through the bus window. According to footage shot inside the bus, Chiesa appeared to be cut by flying glass; he was subsequently pulled from a fight with Anthony Pettis on the April 7 card.
TMZ reported Chiesa told the site the UFC reached out to him to step in for Max Holloway against Nurmagomedov that week, but Chiesa’s cuts not only pulled him from the Pettis fight, but from the potential to fight Nurmagomedov for the then-vacant lightweight title. Instead, Al Iaquinta fought Nurmagomedov and lost a decision.
So Chiesa, it is reported, wants as damages the profits McGregor made in the wake of that incident – which ultimately led to a title fight against Nurmagomedov at UFC 229 that could have made him 10s of millions of dollars.
Click here to read the full story on MMA Junkie.