Conor McGregor estimates $50 million payout for UFC 229

LAS VEGAS – UFC President Dana White has thrown around some pretty lofty figures when it comes to UFC 229’s expected success.

On Thursday, he threw out another one, claiming the pay-per-view buyrate is trending to eclipse the mark set by Conor McGregor’s boxing match with Floyd Mayweather, which he claimed did 6.5 million buys (but ended up at 4.4 million).

Now, McGregor (21-3 MMA, 9-1 UFC) is getting in on the prediction game before his showdown against Khabib Nurmagomedov (26-0 MMA, 10-0 UFC). The Irish star isn’t quite as bullish as his promoter, but if the event performs as he expects, he’ll net nearly half his reported payday from “The Money Fight.”

“We’re estimating around 3 to 3.5 million (on PPV),” McGregor said at a raucous press conference held at Park Theater. “I’d say I’ll close in around the $50 million mark. So for a mixed martial artist to make $50 million in a mixed martial arts bout, it’s quite breathtaking.”

McGregor had a lot of people to thank for the moment, even if he couldn’t remember them all.

“The new owners, W. … what’s their name, WME-IMG? Those guys, as well,” McGregor said with a laugh. “I haven’t really met them much, but they’ve been good to me so far!”

It doesn’t much matter if the checks clear for everyone. As McGregor points out, it was only two years ago when he was fighting Nate Diaz, whom he claimed took home $20,000 to show and $20,000 to win. In fact, Diaz netted $500,000 to his $1 million disclosed purse.

Still, quite an improvement from earlier outings. Official salaries for Saturday’s event will soon show how much of an improvement.

“The game has gone to so many new heights, so quickly,” McGregor said. “And we’re all just trying to keep..

Click here to read the full article on MMA Junkie.

London Fight Store