Anderson Silva eyes Conor McGregor at 180-pound catchweight: 'It's not about money'

Conor McGregor may have failed at recapturing the UFC’s lightweight crown earlier this month, but the offer to fight an octagon legend is still on the table if he wants it.

“I’m waiting,” former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silvatold TMZ Sports. “Because I accept the challenge for Conor.”

Talks of a super fight between the two ex-champs aren’t exactly new, but gained traction again recently, thanks to McGregor. Before he met Khabib Nurmagomedov in the headlining bout of UFC 229 earlier this month, the Irishman said he’d be interested in a fight against Silva.

Silva (34-8 MMA, 17-4 UFC) was down then and, clearly, remains that way now. He’ll be officially cleared to return to action on Nov. 10, after fulfilling a one-year suspension issued by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA), and, despite the fact that McGregor (21-4 MMA, 9-2 UFC) is coming off a submission loss, he still sees it as a massive fight.

“I think (UFC president Dana White needs) to think about this,” Silva said. “Because it’s two big guys in this sport. Two big names – yes, absolutely, two big legends. And, why not?”

Well, that might not be a full-on “why not,” but one technicality that would need to be hashed out is the weight in which they’d meet. Silva is, after all, a lengthy middleweight who has, on occasion, successfully ventured into the light heavyweight division.

McGregor, in turn, has varied divisions, but has gone as low as 145 pounds. His two most recent octagon outings, both with titles on the line, were at 155, and the heaviest McGregor went in the UFC was the 170-pound division, where he met Nate Diaz twice.

That’s still 10 pounds lighter than what Silva proposes.

“I think 180 for me is good,” Silva said. “I think to Conor, (it’s good) too. Because it’s a super fight, it’s not about weight class.”

The other impediment would be that McGregor, on his end, seems to be interested in a rematch with Nurmagomedov. Silva, however, doesn’t think McGregor would be able to beat the current champ in a rematch – so why not fight him instead?

“Let me tell you something very important: It’s not about money, Conor,” Silva said. “It’s about martial arts challenge.”

Silva, 43, hasn’t competed since UFC 208 in January 2017, when he earned a unanimous-decision victory over Derek Brunson. He was supposed to fight Kelvin Gastelum in November, but..

Click here to read the full article on MMA Junkie.

London Fight Store